Monday, March 10, 2014

Time to Go Public

Well, I guess it's time I go public about something that I've been keeping pretty quiet about.

In an effort to kick myself in the buttocks, I decided to run a 5k.

Yes, this is crazy.

No, I am not a runner.

I haven't run since I was 22, and even then, I was REALLY bad at it.

Yes, I have spondylosis and a herniated disc and plantar fasciitis.

But, as most of the world knows, I am working to improve my health. So I had this idea that if I set this crazy goal of running in a 5k, that this might motivate me to get in better shape.

Now, I'm still not in shape, but I'm proud to say that I can in fact "run" (it's more like a labored jog) 3 miles without stopping. Or puking. True, it takes me about 45 minutes, but hey, who's counting?

I've been working with a trainer. I've been doing cardio weight circuits, water jogging, and tread mill intervals, and lo and behold, I am now about a month away from the big race. And I'm almost ready.

On April 12, I will be "running" in the Central Indiana Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure. This race is held in Indianapolis, home of my beloved aunt-in-law. My mother, mother-in-law, and aunt-in-law are all cancer survivors and I will be running in their honor. There will be thousands upon thousands of runners. I may well come in last, but that's okay.

I hate running. But I want to be the kind of person who runs. I want to be healthy. And if I can run, anybody can run. Don't believe me? Ha! Just come watch me run sometime. I look a little like a bear lumbering through jello.

If you would like to support me in this and help me to raise money for this important cause, please visit my fundraising page.

2 comments:

  1. Fantastic goals, Robin! Running for health! Running a 5K (Because you CAN)!! Running for the CURE!!! You are awesome, and will have our support!

    ReplyDelete