Friday, June 7, 2013

Awarding Myself the Bad Blogger Award

I know. I'm a blog fail.

And I have the same excuse you have. I've been busy.

But that's just it--that's not an excuse. Because all bloggers are busy. It's not like Dear Chrissy or Berry Patch or Scary Mommy one day said, "You know, I just have nothing to do, so let's start a blog."

But busyness is my excuse and I'm sticking to it.

So, just in case any of you are still with me (and thank you), here's what I've been up to:

My slam career has completely taken off!

What is slam you ask? Slam is competitive poetry reading, and it can get very competitive. That's why I'm not very good at it. I'm not very competitive. And I'm terribly sensitive. I once heard a poet say "a poet must me more sensitive than a toothache." That's me. Anyway, I started slamming back when I was a youngster, 22ish, and I lost all the time. I would get up on stage in a snazzy outfit and pour out my heart and drunk men would give me bad scores and I would be crushed. Then I would crawl home and write in my closet for a few years. Then my friends who do slam would convince me to give it another go and I would crawl out of my hole, get up on stage, pour out my heart, lose, cry, and go back into my hole. I repeated this cycle for more than a decade.

Then this year, God had a different plan. It's actually kind of funny. I got absolutely slaughtered in my first slam of the year. But it didn't crush me. I went back for a second slam--and I won. Trust me, no one was more surprised than me. I still don't know what happened. And then I kept winning. What?

So the good news is: I have made the Rhythmic Cypher National Slam Team and will be competing in the national poetry slam in Boston in August. Each state (actually, I'm not sure about Hawaii and Alaska) send at least one team--Maine sends two--and 82 teams gather in Boston for a crazy battle of the words. And yours truly will be there this year! There is also an Individual World Poetry Slam in October. I am a Port Veritas finalist and a Rhythmic Cypher semi-finalist for that slam, and I really want to go! Say a prayer for me!

There, at this point, you are either really pumped for me or terrifically bored, so let's move on.

Oh yeah, the day job!

I am still doing freelance writing and editing for a small(er) group of beloved clients, so that has kept me incredibly busy too. I've been building websites, proofreading children's books, and editing study Bibles. I've also written a few new children's books and am currently looking for publishers. Again, say a prayer for me.

Homeschooling!

And of course, there's the children. Say a prayer for me. Homeschooling is going incredibly well and it is way harder than I thought it would be. I had this image of my children doing what I say and learning what I teach because well, I'm their mom. That's not exactly how it has gone. But that's okay. I'm learning too. But homeschooling takes a lot of time out of the day! Who knew?

Then there's the dogs, and the rabbits, and the church worship team, and keeping the house from falling in, I think I'll save all that for another blog post. Oh yeah, and I still watch too much tv. I'll try to be a better blogger, I promise. Until then, you can always keep up with the news at least, at http://robinmerrill.com/events/.

Thanks for listening and God bless you and yours!

22 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  16. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  17. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  18. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  19. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  20. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  21. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  22. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete